The community’s name originated from the Somers, a prominent family who became wealthy as shipping merchants in Fredericksburg during the 18th century and subsequently purchased large tracts of land in Fauquier County.

In 1779, the residents of Somerville joined in signing a petition to create a separate county, citing the long distance and expense required to travel the many miles to Warrenton to attend court.

By 1810, the community’s population was large enough to warrant the establishment of a post office.  In 1914, the post office was moved several miles down the Warrenton to Fredericksburg Road into a building owned by H. Lloyd Grove, located at a crossroads formerly known as White Ridge.  The Grove family has owned and operated this combined post office and store since that time.  It is currently in operation.

More About Somerville

Somerville, VA, USA

Visit Somerville